This is the one product you will hopefully never find yourself wishing you had purchased, mainly because that means you are up #$&% creek without a paddle. Gear Pods creates a multitude of pre-made packages that are designed with survival in mind. They make a kit for shelter, fire, cooking, basic medical needs, a compact saw, Bivy Bag, paracord, pretty much anything you would need if it hit the fan.
This should be somewhere in your life…. I have a go bag, this is not something my significant other or anyone knows, but it is somewhere I can get to it wherever I am. The latest edition to my go bag is the hunter kit from Gear Pods, which has a few things that the demo model we got did not, so check it out (They have a really nice website, really, check them out).
Gear Pods sent us the Survival Pro kit and a spare storage pod. The pictures you see are all the items removed from the 6 inch tube of survival goodness. In order to help you fully appreciate it, I will provide a list of everything in this Nalgene sized container….
- GearPods CookMug: Compact 4.0” anodized aluminum cooking mug/pot with snap-in lid
- GearPods Stove: Solid fuel stove with windshield
- Esbit® solid fuel tablets (2)
- Rescue Flash™ signal mirror – 2″x3″ signal mirror with retro-reflective targeting, protective film, plastic sleeve and instructions
- Fox40 Micro Safety™ – loud emergency whistle for signaling distress and communicating location
- Spark-Lite™ – dependable, one-handed fire starter
- Tinder-Quik™ (4) – weatherproof waterproof tinder that burns 1-2 minutes
- NATO “Storm” Matches (10) – vacuum sealed, NATO-approved waterproof and windproof matches with striker
- Mini-LED flashlight – small keychain-type flashlight with rugged case and battery with 24+ hours of continuous use
- Folding saw – light- to medium- use knife with stainless steel razor blade and rugged handle
- Folding knife – light- to medium-use saw blade constructed of 18TPI steel for cutting wood and metal, and housed in a rugged handle
- Katadyn Micropur-1 Water Tablets (6) – 1 tablet per 1 liter (33.8 fl oz) of water; effective against viruses, bacteria, guardia and cryptosporidium
- Sterile, self-standing water bag (36 fl oz) – for pre-treatment water capture and storage
- Heavy duty needle – for repairing clothes and gear
- Heavy duty thread (50ft reel, 10 lbs BS) – for repairs and emergency line for fishing
- Safety pins (2) – 2″ – for repairs, first aid or even improvised hooks for food procurement
- Wire (8ft) – 0.02″ stainless steel wire, non-magnetic – use for repairs and snares
- Braided nylon cord (25ft, 70lbs BS) – many uses including securing gear and building shelters
- Fishing kit – 4 hooks, 2 split-shots and 1 snap swivel
- Duct tape (2″x30″ 9mm) – many uses from first aid to repair
- Weatherproof stationery – 2”x3” (4) – keeping logs, leaving messages, drawing maps
- Pencil (with protective cap) – use with weatherproof stationery
- Fresnel Lens (2″x3″) – redundant fire starting method
- 20mm Liquid-filled button compass – simple navigation tool
- Waterproof and tearproof instructions – with illustrations
- Stuff Sac – with drawcord and fastener (2)
Yeah that just happened… take a minute to fully appreciate that all of this could be with you on the side of your pack in the middle of the woods, in you car, ready if you need it, brought with you hunting in case something unexpected happens, or pretty much wherever you end up hanging out with Mother Nature.
Well if you aren’t convinced that I’ve tried to get my own mother to buy one of these yet here it is… This is not a novelty, it is a necessity. Out of all of the things you can skimp on, being prepared for the unexpected has never been this simple and all-inclusive. The included products all seem effective (I have not yet had to signal someone to save my hiney with it) and high enough quality that I will happily trust my survival to any kit that Gear Pods creates.